Roxbury, CT officially established its first public library in October 1896, then housed in the back rooms of the old town hall. Long time resident Charles Watson Hodge, upon his death in 1936, bequeathed $15,000 to build a library and museum and to set-up an endowment fund. The Hodge library was completed in 1937 by Clayton B. Squire and named after Charles Hodge’s father, Albert Lafayette Hodge. Mr. Hodge’s will also stipulated that the library include a museum room to house artifacts from the Hodge family and the Roxbury community. The north wing addition was completed in 1967 thanks to a generous donation by Everett Hurlburt.