In 1988, Mabel and Sanford Sturdevant Smith donated 3.45 acres of land on South Street to the town of Roxbury. The land was given in memory of Rachel Minor Bernhardt and Rulley McKinstry Bernhardt, Mabel B. Smith’s parents. The town had already outgrown the Hodge Memorial Library and Museum, so its citizens embarked on a major fundraising campaign to construct a 7,500 square foot library on the Smith land. The Minor Memorial Library opened in 1994.
The library was named in honor of Mrs. Smith’s mother who was a descendant of Captain John Minor, who explored Roxbury in 1673. Construction of the Minor Memorial Library was completed in 1994 providing the residents of Roxbury with a library three times the size of the Hodge Memorial Library and Museum. The building, designed by Noyes-Vogt Architects, is 7,500 square feet with shelving space for 40,000 items. In 1998 the Minor Memorial Library was selected by the Association of Connecticut Library Boards to receive the “Award for Excellence in Small Libraries.
For more information about the Minor Memorial Library, visit our website at http://www.minormemoriallibrary.org